Monday, October 31, 2011

When my phone was picked


 I had closed from class and walking to the bus stop to pick a bus to circle. I was on the phone with my friend who promised to call back in 10 minutes. I put the phone back into my handbag without closing the zip.  I don’t zip my bag when I’m in town, I don’t have a reason for this but my bag is always open, I guess it makes it easier to locate my phone or purse when the need arises. OK this is a lame excuse but I can’t really think of a reason for not zipping my bag. 
I think that’s when my attacker started following me. I got to the bus stop and it was difficult getting a circle bound car which was so unusual meaning when a vehicle showed up, we all had to swarm it but only the strongest gets in. Didn’t want to engage in this tussle of the strongest contest so moved farther away from the crowd and waited. After waiting for a while, my options were either struggling or spending the night there, choosing the former I positioned myself in lieu of the next car that showed up. One showed up, couldn’t get in, soon after the second one came and I made it. Relieved was written all over my face.

Made it to circle and joined my destination queue. After standing there for a while my friend's call wasn’t coming through, that was when I decided to call him back because it had been more than 10 minutes. I searched high and low of my bag but no phone. That was when it hit me that I may have been picked.  I was in denial, maybe it’s just somewhere in my bag, it does that to me sometimes. By now I had started panicking and took out my other phone to call my number. I was greeted with sorry; you do not have enough credits blah blah….. Great just when you have an emergency at hand. I scouted around looking for the people who sell phone units to buy from them; there was not even a single soul in sight. You know when you don’t need their service that’s when they beseech you in numbers.  I was really getting apprehensive and wondering why my friend won’t call this number to find out why he hasn’t heard from me. I mean it’s only natural that if you promised to call someone and you have difficulty getting through to the person, you try the other number. My friend called later and I directed all my anger, bitterness to him. As if he had called earlier my phone wouldn’t have been picked. Something I strongly believe!
I felt violated like I had been stripped naked kind of. I mean he put his hands into my bag and took way the phone only God knows where those hands have been.  It’s not like I willingly gave the phone away or is it about the expensiveness or otherwise of the phone. It’s just that this person was stupid enough to target me and steal from me. I was angry, sad. He is lucky I don’t have some form of supernatural powers, because I would have torn him into pieces! Yes that was how angry and hurt I felt. My telecom service provider doesn’t have a back up service meaning all my contacts are lost though I had the habit of writing some down in case any funny thing like this happened.  I learned two lessons here: one, to always zip my bag when I’m out and then to be conscious of the fact that not all the people at the bus stop wants to go home. Some are just there to steal. I hope I don’t fall victim again and no one falls a victim too. It’s not a pleasant feeling plus I have to ask for your contact numbers again so please do send me your number.

4 comments:

  1. Aww so sorry dear,i think it way harsh to direct some anger to the guy who promised to call back and did not..glad u learnt those lessons but sad you did the had way..

    ReplyDelete
  2. life has a funny way of going about things! For instance it tests you before you learn the lesson(s). Really sorry with the discomfort, inconvenience and all....but be sure to grasp all the lessons inherent otherwise similar event but same lessons to be learned will take place in the future. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized the harshness of my actions later. its sad i had to be a victim, i hope to be careful now though one can not always be careful. thanks DIDI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KC, welcome to the blog. I am clinging on the lessons gidigidi,I have to keep reminding myself that some people are there just to steal. Be safe too and thanks for passing by!

    ReplyDelete